Re: NUL handling and security considerations [was: Re: My open issues with RFC3028bis]

2005-07-04 05:32:29

I may be stretching it too far here, but AFAIK, there are implementations
that truncate strings, thus corrupting test results.  Trying to label them
non-conforming probably won't succeed, but we should not silently ignore
this problem.

I guess there are two choices:
A) Require correct handling of NUL
B) Strongly prefer correct handling of NUL and warn about the dangers of
   not doing so in the security considerations

I have no major problem with A but I think B is a better choice. FWIW, the
implementation I work on has no problem handling NULs, but I worry that
this will make many other implementations non-conforming.

Same here.  So how about a "SHOULD handle NUL characters correctly"?

The question is: is there anything we can say on this other than "this
is a problem"?  Recommending that sieve implementations be more liberal
(than MUAs) doesn't work because the attack works both ways.  Rewriting
messages to make them strictly compliant has a horrible history, while
rejecting everything that's even slightly suspect is politically
impossible.  Do we just document it, grunt, and move on?

I guess so.  It should be documented indeed.

Michael