Re: scoping and variables yet again

2005-09-16 06:18:24

before we discuss the wording, we should make sure we have consensus on
what the behaviour should be.

       a) an included script should not be allowed to change the
       variables in the parent script unless the parent script
       explicitly allows it.

       b) an included script should not be allowed to view the
       variables in the parent script unless the parent script
       explicitly allows it.

       c) the behaviour of a script should not change if it is included
       by a parent script rather than run standalone.

are everyone with me on this?

+ d) a parent script should not be allowed to view the variables
   in the included script unless the included script explicitly allows it.

my suggestion is (text A), a complete reversal of behaviour:

   Variables are only visible to the currently running script.

Ok by me :o)

Nigel