Re: Stripping leading/trailing spaces in relational draft

2005-10-13 05:14:01

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 12:17 +0100, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
+   Some match types mandate stripping of leading and/or trailing
+   whitespace from the inputs prior to comparison whenever the string
+   value is taken from the message.  In the "string" test, both
+   source and key-list are taken from the script, not the message,
+   and whitespace stripping MUST NOT be done unless the script
+   explicitly requests this through some future mechanism.

I like the intent of the text, but it seems to be implying that a test
can override stripping behavior mandated by a match type.
I thought we've agreed previously that this is not a good idea.

yes, I agree.  however, it's a cop-out just in case the base spec and
relational don't get changed, because that is (as I see it) how it
stands: ":value" changes the stripping behaviour of all test actions.
the text above isn't normative, anyway.
--
Kjetil T.