Re: 'header' test and whitespace

2005-11-30 09:22:02

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 15:15 -0800, Philip Guenther wrote:
Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho(_at_)ifi(_dot_)uio(_dot_)no> writes:
I'm repeating it once more so Philip may take note of it :-).

Okay, okay, it's in now.

thanks!  (sorry, didn't mean to imply you weren't paying diligent
attention.)

also in the latest draft is this:

  The preferred way to test whether a given header is either empty or
  absent is to combine an "exists" test and a "header" test:

          anyof (header :is "Cc" "", not exists "Cc")

Ick.  I agree that your version matches the "plain meaning" of the
description better than the one currently in the doc, but it is an
imprecise description.  Hmm.  How about:

    Testing whether a given header is either absent or doesn't contain
    any non-whitespace characters can be done using a negated "header"
    test:
      not header :matches "Cc" "?*"

this seems spurious in the spec text, IMHO, since there is no rationale
for why the text was added.  how about:

        The following test will return false when the header is absent:

        header :is "Cc" ""

        Testing whether a given header is either absent or contains
        nothing but whitespace can be done using a negated "header"
        test:

                not header :matches "Cc" "?*"
--
Kjetil T.