draft-ietf-sieve-variables-07

2005-12-18 22:44:27

I've just written, as promised, a lemonade draft describing an
extension to IMAP and Sieve (draft-ietf-lemonade-imap-sieve-00, just
submitted as an I-D, and just posted to lemonade(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org).  In
writing
that, I've come up with a requirement for the variables extension, and
an editorial comment about the variables doc.

For the former: the lemonade extension adds a reserved variable which
I'm currently calling "IMAPSieve.cause".  Its value is the action that
caused the script to be run ("APPEND", "COPY", and so on).  It occurs
to me that it'll be awkward for scripts to have to wonder what the
absence of that variable means.  Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a
reserved namespace called "Sieve.", and to have a variable called
"Sieve.cause" that's ALWAYS available if variables are supported?  In
the normal case, its value would be "DELIVERY", and extensions like
mine can specify other values.  (This might also add an IANA item....)

For the latter: Can we please add an example of the use of the
namespace attribute?  It's not explained terribly well, and there are
no examples.

Barry

--
Barry Leiba, Pervasive Computing Technology
(leiba(_at_)watson(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com)