managesieve/anonymous

2006-06-05 10:24:27

Hi,

I think the use of anonymous authentication in managesieve sounds like a hack. It's not authentication, it's reusing RFC 2245 for another purpose.

I suggest dropping it and adding this instead:

Servers MAY allow the PUTSCRIPT command to unauthenticated clients. In this case, the server MUST carry out a syntax check of the uploaded script, report any errors and MUST NOT store the script. A server signals this functionality by offering the capability PUTSCRIPT.

(Is it conceivable that the correctness of a script might depend on the uploading user? Could extensions be available to a subset of the users?)

This permits anonymous to be used in a way more similar to other authentication mechanisms. For example, some sites might permit anonymous users (inside the firewall) read access to a pool of globally readable scripts. A bit far-fetched given that the include script seems dead.

Arnt