Re: Review of draft-ietf-sieve-refuse-reject-02

2006-08-22 15:59:02

At 9:29 PM +0100 8/21/06, Alexey Melnikov wrote:

 Randall Gellens wrote:

(1) The document should make clear in the Abstract that it is updating the existing "Reject" action.

 Done. I've changed the first sentence of the Abstract to read:

This memo updates definition the SIEVE mail filtering language "reject" extension, originally defined in RFC 3028.

Thanks.

(2) I suggest adding "The message is rejected after end of data" to the end of the Abstract.

Do you mean after the DATA command? I don't think we should limit reject to post-DATA case only, several people have expressed desire to use it at RCPT TO: time.

From reading the draft, my impression was that it was for use after end-of-data. Perhaps instead of saying "The message is rejected after end of data", say "The intent is to reject messages during the SMTP transaction based on the message's characteristics, for example, its recipient(s) or its data."

(6) What is the rational for item 1 on the action list in Section 3.1 (as opposed to rejecting even if the MAIL FROM is null)?

You have a point. If protocol level rejection is available, the recipient might just reject the message. For DSNs/MDNs, the server just "MUST NOT generate" them, right?

I meant, why require that messages with a null MAIL FROM be accepted and discarded? Why not just fail the transaction?

--
Randall Gellens
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------