Re: Proposal for escaping on non-UTF-8 sequences in Sieve

2006-09-18 03:02:39

Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

Alexey Melnikov writes:

Here is a strawman syntax for new quoted strings that would only allow
for valid UTF-8 sequences, but would also allow for escaped non-UTF-8
sequences:

The capability name needs changing.

  quoted-string      = old-quoted-string / new-quoted-string
                         ; "new-quoted-string" is not allowed as
                         ; a parameter to "require" action.
                         ; "new-quoted-string" is only allowed after
                         ; 'require "utf8-strings";'

You're actually talking about non-utf8-compliant-strings. "utf8-strings" is a poor name for that.

Ok.

I find it very difficult to summon any enthusiasm for this extension. Please include at least three realistic examples in the draft to show that it has value.

I will refer you to the following messages in the archive:
<http://www.imc.org/ietf-mta-filters/mail-archive/msg03105.html>
<http://www.imc.org/ietf-mta-filters/mail-archive/msg03147.html>