sieve for spamfiltering and greylisting

2006-12-13 04:51:39

  Hello,
What happens with a mail between the end MTA and the mailbox? First (optionally) greylisting, then (optionally) spamfiltering and at the end )optionally) sieve-filtering. All this (optional) steps could be up to the user to be configured, hence each of them requires different interface:
  - one interface for conf. the personal grey listing
  - one interface for configuring the personal spam settings and
  - managesieve for configuring the personal filters.

It is a bit cumbersome, as all these settings are related to the same thing (mail delivery from the users' point of view), but setting them up requires different approaches.

Maybe you have discussed it already, but recently I was thinking on uniting all this settings into one. And my idea concrete is either to extend sieve to support settings for external programmes or to define sieve extensions per purpose (hence one extension for both configuring spamassassin and dspam). In the first case just the name of the programme will need to be specified and it will be able to define what will happen afterwards with the parameters (and be able to get them from the script), e.g
  require "prog";
  prog grey-listing 10 30
(meaning that the mail shall be retried not later than 30 minutes and not earlier than the next 10 minutes, in order to pass the grey-filtering, or wise-versa - it will be up to the interpreting programme)
  prog spamassassin rewrite_header nanana

or in the second case we define a keyword per purpose, the sample sieve script could look like

  require "spam", "grey-listing"
  spam rewrite_header nanana
  grey-listing off

Where the meaning of spam rewrite_header and/or grey-listing off is defined by a sieve extension/capability.

That's all, I just wanted to share the idea. Of course such an approach would require the management of several other applications, but at the same time it supposes for the future even wider support for sieve, both in the spam-programmes and in the tools for managing settings. Actually my initial idea was to extend managesieve to upload the settings for different applications - once for sieve, once for spam-settings, but later I thought it would be better to alter the language itself.
  Greetings,
    Dilian