Re: Results of the Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-sieve-notify-05.txt

2007-02-04 06:33:50

Alexey Melnikov writes:
Alexey Melnikov wrote:
Alexey Melnikov wrote:
Issue #6:

Arnt wants to be able to do "send notification over XMPP, if can be delivered immediately. Otherwise send it over SMS".
This issue needs further discussion.

Aaron replied that he likes the idea. Anybody else?

Arnt has suggested that the notify action should take multiple :method parameters. As tagged parameters can't be specified multiple times in the same test (3028bis, section 2.6), this will mean changing the :method parameter to be a string list.

Other alternative are:
1). Add a test to check if a notification method (specified as an URI) can deliver the notification immediately. IMHO, I like this a bit better than Arnt's proposal, as it is easier to implement and the resulting script is going to be easier to read.

Consensus seems to be to go with option #1.

Fine with me. There is a bit of complexity or even a race condition ("can deliver at the time of the test" vs. "can deliver at the time of the notify execution"), but I don't think it's serious. (If we worry about that, we'd better worry something much bigger: what happens if the notification is dislayed, but not seen because the screensaver kicks in 0.02 seconds later, or the user logs out 0.04 seconds later, or the mobile device runs out of power and dies 0.01 seconds later.)

Arnt