Re: AD review of draft-ietf-sieve-3028bis-12

2007-04-01 07:26:02

Aaron Stone wrote:

Everything looks good. A few more wordsmithing comments below.

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007, Alexey Melnikov
<alexey(_dot_)melnikov(_at_)isode(_dot_)com> said:
 Chris Newman wrote:
Alexey Melnikov wrote on 3/29/07 18:15 +0100:
After discussing this with Cyrus: chairs would like to publish -12 +
RFC-editor's notes.
That's fine. Send me RFC-editor notes I can paste into the ballot and I'll push the draft forward.
Ok, here is the list of changes I would like to propose (Can please someone else sanity check this!).
[snip]
In section 2.7.1, 1st paragraph, replace the 2nd sentence:

OLD:
Match type arguments are supplied to those commands which allow them to specify
  what kind of match is to be performed.
NEW:
Match type arguments control what kind of match is to be performed by commands.
The whole thing is pretty awkward. Here's the whole paragraph in -12:

  There are three match types describing the matching used in this
  specification: ":is", ":contains", and ":matches".  Match type
  arguments are supplied to those commands which allow them to specify
  what kind of match is to be performed.

  These are used as optional arguments to tests that perform string
  comparison.

Suggest:

  Commands which perform string comparisons may have an optional match
  type argument. The three match types in this specification are ":is",
":contains", and ":matches".
I like that.

I don't think we need to define the word argument "argument". We only need
to explain what "match type arguments" are.

A bit later in the section, I suggest dropping the highlighted clause:

2.7.3. Comparators

  In order to allow for language-independent, case-independent matches,
  the match type may be coupled with a comparator name.  The Internet
  Application Protocol Collation Registry [COLLATION] provides the
  framework for describing and naming comparators as used by this
  specification.                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The purpose of the registry is not to document what Sieve does. Rather,
Sieve is just using the registry.
Good point.

[snip]
Add to the end:

10. Added encoded-character capability and deprecated (but did not remove)
  use of arbitrary binary octets in Sieve scripts.
11. Updated IANA registration template, and permit capability prefix
registrations. Prefix registrations outside "vnd." require IESG approval.
12. Added .sieve as a valid extension for sieve scripts.
Suggest:

   11. Updated IANA registration template, and added IANA considerations
       to permit capability prefix registrations.

We don't need to repeat the "vnd." requirement, we just have to point the
reader to that section of the document.
Yes, this is better.