Re: Minutes from the Prague IETF meeting

2007-04-23 10:26:56

Alexey presented a new (not yet written) draft on "Externally stored lists". The basic idea is to be able to store lists of users or email addresses in SQL/LDAP/ACAP/... Such lists can be updated externally, without the need to update Sieve script. The proposal is to extend redirect action and header/envelope tests to reference externally
stored lists.

FYI we support it this kind of way:

if header :is "From" "${Whitelist}" {...}

Where "Whitelist" is an externally configured list of email addresses. Were I to re-implement, then I'd put "Whitelist" in a namespace. I consider it along the lines of accessing server configuration, for which we've already discussed adding a namespace.

The idea of IO bound operations from a sieve script such as LDAP/RBL lookups makes me twitchy about performance, but these concerns are of course solvable using multiple threads/processes. I think it's the first time we've suggested doing this kind of thing, so may be a knock to the architecture of a few implementations and therefore make it difficult for them to implement.

Nigel