Sieve NOTIFY and ManageSieve

2007-04-26 07:22:44

Aaron Stone wrote:

[...]

I still don't understand why we've created the capability prefix registry
and then decided not to use it for notify. This seems silly:

 S: "Implementation" "ManageSieved"
 S: "SASL" "DIGEST-MD5"
S: "SIEVE" "fileinto vacation comparator-i;ascii-numeric" S: "STARTTLS"
 S: "NOTIFY" "xmpp mailto"
 S: OK

I suggested this, but Alexey and others pointed out that it breaks extant
servers and clients quite badly:

 S: "Implementation" "ManageSieved"
 S: "SASL" "DIGEST-MD5"
 S: "SIEVE" "fileinto vacation"
 S: "STARTTLS"
 S: "NOTIFY" "xmpp mailto"
 S: "COMPARATOR" "i;ascii-numeric"
 S: OK

Since we have existing implementations that expect comparator-foo, and we
created an IANA registry for extension prefixes, notify should use that:

 S: "Implementation" "ManageSieved"
 S: "SASL" "DIGEST-MD5"
 S: "SIEVE" "fileinto vacation comparator-i;ascii-numeric notify-xmpp
 S:  notify-mailto"

Currently notification methods are not Sieve extensions. Strictly
speaking they are in separate namespaces.
One implication of your second suggestion is that 'require
"notify-xmpp";' is now legal. (This is not necessarily bad, but I don't
think this is necessary.)

Frankly, I prefer your '"COMPARATOR" "i;ascii-numeric"' idea, except
that it breaks backward compatibility.

 S: "STARTTLS"
 S: OK

In draft-ietf-notify-07, I suggest removing this from IANA:

8.  IANA Considerations

  The following template specifies the IANA registration of the notify
  Sieve extension specified in this document:

-   To: iana(_at_)iana(_dot_)org
-   Subject: Registration of new Sieve extension
-   Capability name: enotify
-   received message.  It also provides two new test: valid_notify_method
-   checks notification URIs for validity; notify_method_capability can
-   check recipients capabilities.
-   RFC number: this RFC
-   Contact address:
-       The Sieve discussion list <ietf-mta-filters(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>

  This information should be added to the list of sieve extensions
  given on http://www.iana.org/assignments/sieve-extensions.

And replace with this (follows the format used in draft-3028bis-12):

  Capability name: enotify
                   some external method that a message has arrived,
                   adds the 'valid_notification_method' test to check
                   a notification URI for validity,
                   adds the 'notify_method_capability' test to check
                   if a notification method supports additional
                   capabilities.

I can use your text. Thanks.

  RFC number:      this RFC (Sieve notify base spec)
  Contact address: The Sieve discussion list
<ietf-mta-filters(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>

  Capability name: notify-* (anything starting with "notify-")
                   with the notify action
  RFC number:      this RFC (Sieve notify base spec)
  Contact address: The Sieve discussion list
<ietf-mta-filters(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>

I need to poll the WG regarding the second change.