IESG comments on 3028bis

2007-05-11 14:57:33

And you thought that this document was done ;-).
IESG didn't think so. Here are the two main issues:

1). Cullen Jennings:
>The document says that one SHOULD do loop detection - I think it needs to point >at some advice that provided at least one way to implement loop detection at a
>level of detail high enough that it is implementable.

I think this was discussed on the mailing list before and there was consensus that this should be addressed in a separate document, because this issue is not specific to Sieve. Do I have this right?

2). Cullen Jennings:
>I see a serious problem with the allowing redirection to more than one users. >This allows a very high speed server in the center of the network to perform a >application of already large traffic. When filtering happens on an end user >email client it is no worse than what the client could do by just sending new >email. This is worse. It is also different than mailing lists which hopefully >have a consent mechanism. I am proposing fixing this by saying that the limit on >number of redirects SHOULD be one and the times to ignore this SHOULD are text
>environments and such.

I've sent Cullen a reply saying that there are several implementation that allow for multiple redirects. However the document should have a security consideration on this issue, if it doesn't already.

Opinions?

Also, Cullen has suggested to drop the text about CMU FLAME language. I welcome comments on this.