Re: Suggested changes to address Cullen's DISCUSS on draft-ietf-sieve-3028bis-12.txt

2007-08-25 12:54:11

inline ...

On Aug 25, 2007, at 9:37 AM, Alexey Melnikov wrote:

Cullen Jennings wrote:

> I don't think that is really implementable advice - it basically
> wishes the problem away.

It is implementable, it applies to UIs and admin tools and many
implementations already follow it.

So the topic I was questioning the implementability of is a program that can look a series of sieve scripts across one or more email servers and decide if the sieve scripts are capable of creating large scale message amplification attacks. The draft clearly does not contain enough information to tell someone how to implement this and personally I seriously doubt that it is possible due to the halting problem. Of course I suspect it is not possible because I am also very incredulous of the WG's claim that sieve coupled with common email systems is not turing complete. Luckily I think that an acceptable solution can be found without having a debate about basic CS theory.

> More inline ...
> On Aug 17, 2007, at 2:34 PM, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
>
>> Cullen, does the following address your DISCUSS?
>>
>> =============================
>> In section 4.2, last paragraph:
>>
>> OLD:
>>  Implementations SHOULD take measures to implement loop control,
>> possibly including adding headers to the message or counting Received
>>  headers.  If an implementation detects a loop, it causes an error.
>> NEW:
>>  Implementations SHOULD take measures to implement loop control,
>> possibly including adding headers to the message or counting Received
>>  headers as specified in section 6.2 of [SMTP].  If an
>> implementation detects a loop, it causes an error.
>>          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> Add to the end of section 4.2 two new paragraphs:
>>
>>  Implementations SHOULD provide means of limiting the number of
>> redirects a
>>  Sieve script can perform.
>
> Well if it was the number of redirects SHOULD be limited to one it
> would do it but as it is - not sure I see how it helps.

Cullen, I told you before, there is very strong WG consensus to allow
implementations to use more than one.

Please see
<http://www.imc.org/ietf-mta-filters/mail-archive/msg03601.html> and
<http://www.imc.org/ietf-mta-filters/mail-archive/msg03599.html>.

Now, if you have another suggestion how to address your issue, I would
like to hear it.

I have given a simple and easy way to address it that seemed to also work for the use cases that people told me about (I certainly admit I don't know all the case). However, let me be very clear - it is not my job to find a solution that the WG likes to this. I believe that the IETF has clear consensus that it does not want to deploy technology that could trivially be used for large scale DOS and message amplification attacks with very little safeguards or traceable ways of dealing with this. Now my current judgement call is that this is in that category and could cause harm to the internet. You can convince me I am wrong about that - or you could find a way of mitigating and reducing this risk - I can think of several and I have suggested the one that I think is most likely to be acceptable to the WG but I make no presumption that I would know what is the best solution for this WG on this problem. I have made it clear what the issues is, why I think a change is needed, this should not be hard.