Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sieve-refuse-reject-05.txt

2007-10-06 13:41:56

On Sat, 2007-10-06 at 07:55 -0700, Ned Freed wrote:

[snip all but this item]

I will also add that I personally have no real preferences about any of this.
simply want a specification I can implement without a lot of trouble. The
current reject/ereject specification looks fairly reasonable to me - my one
quibble is where it says that when UTF-8 Is downgraded to US-ASCII in order to
respond at the  SMTP level the user SHOULD be informed. Short of sending the
user a message sauing that this has been done I have no idea how to do that
and
I really don't think users will appreciate getting such messages notifying
them
of how rejected mail is handled.

Agreed. For a while I had a very nice error report that read:

    Your script encountered a message that could not be parsed,
    and delivered the message to your Inbox.

This was a _very stupid idea_ -- it basically amplified spam. I suspect
the same scenario here.

I'll drop this text unless someone really wants to keep it.

Aaron