Re: My message about notify looping issues and possible solutions

2007-12-04 02:43:45

FWIW, I tried something else entirely, namely using RFC 4865 to handle looping.

Use HOLDFOR=120 if you've sent a notification in the same general direction in the recent past, and mail loops become annoyances rather than disasters. With a round-trip time of 2-4 minutes, it's difficult to pile up more than a three- or four-digit number of messages before the loop is discovered and fixed. A whole weekend is just 1000-2000 messages.

Arnt