Re: Treat as a WGLC: draft-martin-managesieve-10.txt

2008-06-29 11:13:23

Stephan Bosch wrote:

Hi Alexey,
Hi Stephan,

Alexey Melnikov wrote:
I've submitted version 10 of the ManageSieve draft. I believe it
addresses all major issues with the document. I would like to request
publication of this document shortly.

Because Sieve WG hasn't rechartered yet, I can't request a formal WGLC
on the document. However I would like to ask people to treat my
request as a WGLC.
Please send me your comments by July 7th.
I've quickly scanned through the new document and the way the '+' issue
is resolved for the string literals worries me. If I am not mistaken,
the new specification requires the '+' from the client and prohibits it
from the server. If I remember correctly, the '+' was required both ways
in old versions of this draft and you decided to remove it to make
things more logical compared to the similar IMAP string literal and to
match the existing timsieved implementation.

Yes.

I thought the idea was to simply allow and ignore the '+' for legacy
implementations.

ManageSieve was largely documenting Cyrus timsieved and timsieved never emitted "+" to clients. If you know any server that emits non-synchronizing literals to clients, please let me know. But absent any evidence that this would break deployed servers, I would prefer to keep consistency with IMAP and timsieved.

Strictly requiring it from clients seems cumbersome and will, to my opinion,
likely introduce even more incompatibilities.
As far as I know ManageSieve never allowed clients to send synchronizing literals (literals without +). timsieved allows for that (because it reuses IMAP parser), but I don't think it ever emits IMAP style "+ go ahead" back to clients. So it is not consistent with IMAP either.

If people think that support for synchronizing literals in the direction from the client to the server is needed, I can add that. But I am not convinced that this is a problem either.

Is there a specific reason to implement it this way? Sorry that I missed
version 09 of this document, but I did not actively check for new
versions and I didn't see it posted on this list.

I do like the new extensions you introduced. :) I'll thoroughly read the
new document in a few days to update my ManageSieve implementation.
Sounds good to me :-).