[Fwd: Re: draft-freed-sieve-in-xml status?]

2008-12-15 12:46:48
Forwarding to the mailing list with Ned's permission.

--- Begin Message ---
Ned Freed wrote:

Can we just standardize a namespace URI (but don't require use of
namespaces) and be done with this issue?

I have no objection as long as we don't clutter up the examples with it. RFC
3470 has this to say about namespace usage in RFCs:

 In the case of namespaces in IETF standards-track documents, it would be
useful if there were some permanent part of the IETF's own web space that could be used for this purpose. In lieu of such, other permanent URIs can be used, e.g., URNs in the IETF URN namespace (see [11] and [12]). Although
 there are instances of IETF specifications creating new URI schemes to
 define XML namespaces, this practice is strongly discouraged.

RFC 3688 then created the necessary allocation and an associated registry:

ns -- XML Namespaces [W3C.REC-xml-names] are named by a URI. They have no real, machine-parseable representation. Thus, the registered document will be either the specification or a reference to it. In the case where a URI is not
 provided by the registrant, the IANA will assign a URN of the form
 'urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:<id> which will be the XML Namespace's name.

It is also expected that schemata will be registered. However, since we're
about to switch to Relax NG and AFAICT the schema registry is for
XML Schema language stuff only, this won't apply to us as of the next
revision. So we'll end up with an IANA Considerations section like the
following:

7.  IANA Considerations

  This section registers a new XML namespace per the procedures in RFC
  3688 [RFC3688].

URI:  urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:sieve

Registrant Contact:  IETF Sieve working group
<ietf-mta-filters(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>

XML:

 BEGIN
 <?xml version="1.0"?>
 <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML Basic 1.0//EN"
   "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-basic/xhtml-basic10.dtd";>
 <head>
         content="text/html;charset=iso-8859-1"/>
   <title>Sieve Namespace</title>
 </head>
   <h1>Namespace for Sieve Language objects expressed in XML</h1>
   <h2>urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:sieve</h2>
   RFC 5361</a>.
 END

Unless there are objections I'll include this in the next draft.

This looks good to me. Thanks!

BTW, my reply was directly to you. However I think your reply should go to the mailing list. Can you either forward your reply to the mailing list or can I do that?

--- End Message ---