Re: ABNF or example error in RFC 5228

2008-12-17 07:16:32

Dave Cridland skrev:
On Wed Dec 17 11:18:26 2008, Dave Cridland wrote:
On Wed Dec 17 10:33:38 2008, Magnus Westerlund wrote:
Section 3.2 for example contains the following example:

   Example:  require ["fileinto", "reject"];

However if one looks at the ABNF for string-list it says:

   string-list  = "[" string *("," string) "]" / string
                    ; if there is only a single string, the brackets
                    ; are optional

Are you referring to the "," instead of "," *WSP which is actually  used?

If so, then yes, there's a minor error, which could be put as an
erratum.

Actually, no, there isn't an error there.

Section 8.2, from which the above ABNF fragment is extracted, begins "No
whitespace or comments appear below."

Section 8.1 says "[whitespace characters] are ignored except as they
separate tokens."

Okay, the whitespacing was exactly what I saw was the problem as I
didn't see that comment. Implicit whitespacing is in my personal opinion
problematic, but that has no impact on the issue I raised. So apparently
no real issue.

Sorry for taking up your time.

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto:
magnus(_dot_)westerlund(_at_)ericsson(_dot_)com