Re: Recommended ManageSieve TCP port 2000 is already allocated to Cisco SCCP

2009-01-13 10:03:37

Jeffrey Hutzelman writes:
Instead of standardizing a multi-port search procedure, I suggest we standardize the use of DNS SRV records to discover managesieve servers.

I thought so too, but I couldn't formulate a good and complete set of rules. That's why I haven't suggested that (for a couple of years).

The best I could come up with is:

1. Get a port (x) from IANA.
2. Servers listen to port x by default, but must be configurable to use another port. 3. Clients do an SRV lookup for _managesieve._tcp.target and fall back to target port x if no SRV record is found.

It's possible to make old clients work (except for the literal/literal+ problem) by pointing at port 2000 in the SRV record. But I'm not happy enough to really like this solution.

Arnt