Re: Recommended ManageSieve TCP port 2000 is already allocated to Cisco SCCP

2009-01-13 10:42:09

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 09:38:13AM -0500, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

--On Tuesday, January 13, 2009 09:28:27 AM +0100 Arnt Gulbrandsen
<arnt(_at_)gulbrandsen(_dot_)priv(_dot_)no> wrote:

Pushing SCCCP out of the way isn't going to work very well... I suggest
getting a new port (x) and using these rules:

Clients MUST try port x first. If a client gets connection refused on the
right port number, it MAY try 2000, but in that case it should watch out
for SCCCP. Sieve banners look like <example>, and always contain a line
starting with "SIEVE " and one starting with "IMPLEMENTATION ". SCCCP
banners look like <example>, and always <dan?>.

Instead of standardizing a multi-port search procedure, I suggest we
standardize the use of DNS SRV records to discover managesieve servers.

-- Jeff

I would second the DNS SRV record approach. It would be quite convenient
to have a MUA that used DNS SRV records to find it's IMAP, SMTP-MSA,
and Managesieve servers.