Re: Questions and remarks on draft-ietf-sieve-include-01.txt

2009-05-05 15:46:36

--On Tuesday, May 05, 2009 11:07:59 AM +0200 Stephan Bosch <stephan(_at_)rename-it(_dot_)nl> wrote:

Also, you completely lifted the global command's placement requirements.
I am not fundamentally opposed to this, but this can make the inclusion
of a global variable conditional, i.e. inside an if statement. Until I
actually implement this I won't really know for sure whether there will
be implementation issues.

And if the possibility for a conditional global command is desired, I
would expect an explicit mention of this possibility somewhere in the
command explanation. Now it could come to a surprise to the more naive
implementer. This also implies that a global variable is not included
into the local scope until after the first global command that specifies
it.

I would expect that a global command has effect only from the command to the end of the enclosing scope; as a result, a global inside a conditional has effect only on the conditional code, and never on something occurring after the conditional, regardless of whether the conditional is taken.

Alternately, a global command could be defined to apply to the entire file regardless of where it occurs.