Re: [sieve] Notify (RFC 5435) questions

2009-09-29 07:17:48
On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 9:32 PM, Barry Leiba
<barryleiba(_dot_)mailing(_dot_)lists(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Hannah Schroeter
<hannah(_at_)schlund(_dot_)de> wrote:
 [...]
To the specific questions:

 1. Is the parameter of :importance a *constant* string (as the ABNF
    suggests) or can it expand variables (as the variables extension
    says all strings do if one uses it unless *explicitly* told to be
    constant)?

The latter.

+1

 2. If the string of the parameter doesn't specify a number at all,
    is that an error or is the parameter silently ignored and the
    default importance ("2") used?

Error, as with any other incorrect parameter that doesn't give other
explicit guidance.

+1

 3. If the string of the parameter *does* specify a number, but one
    out of range, is that an error or is it ignored? In the latter
    case, is the default importance used or is the number clipped
    to the range (from below 1 to 1, from above 3 to 3)?

The same as 2.

Actually I think the value should be ignored or rounded down (e.g. "5"
would become "3").
I intended for this range to be extensible.

 4. Are leading zeroes tolerated as the *text* suggests "a numeric
    value represented as a string" or not, as the ABNF suggests,
    [":importance" <"1" / "2" / "3">]?

We didn't explicitly consider this, but the grammar specifies a
string, and does not allow leading zeroes.  I would anticipate that
implementations might take that as specified.

Agreed.