Re: [sieve] New Version Notification for draft-george-sieve-notify-presence-00

2010-02-07 11:32:48
I've just posted an update to this, here:
   http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-george-sieve-notify-presence-01.txt

I've been scratching my head over this one. It isn't that the capability isn't
useful - it is - and that the proposal won't work - it will. Rather, it's the
implied coupling between presence checks and notify that has me concerned with
the basic approach that's been chosen.

This issue shows up in the third example in section 3. This example has a
presence check being used to determine whether or not to send a vacation
notice. There's no actual use of a notify action. Further, the example hard
codes the recipient's presence information.

The latter issue could, I suppose, be addressed by looking up the recipients
presence information with an externai list operation - assuming we make it
possible for external list operations to return additional properties.

But maybe I'm worrying about nothing. AFAIK all of the currently defined
presence checks have an associated notification mechanism.  And even if such a
mechanism exists, there's nothing to say an implementation couldn't implement
only the presence check part of enotify.