Re: [sieve] Question about draft-ietf-sieve-external-lists-02

2010-08-04 18:12:11
I personally think that comparators should be allowed with :list, but I
don't have a strong opinion.

Given the points that have been raised, I'm starting to think this is the right
answer. In the rare cases where a compprator does make sense to use with an
external list, it can be encoded into the list name.

I also think that making Sieve scripts fail because an implementation
decides that a particular comparator can't be used with :list would be a
bad idea. If we want to go this route, then we need to define how a
particular comparator works for a particular external list URI type.

Yeah, but the problem there is what to do about tag: URLs. I don't know what
other implementations have planned, but we're not exactly keen on letting users
specify arbitrary LDAP URLs or anything similar. Instead, the mail admin sets
up whatever tag: URLs (incuding families of them) they want, and these are then
mapped to LDAP, database queries, code callouts, whatever.

As it happens we have no exiting or planned external list mechanisms where a
comparator makes sense, so right now we can simply reject the combination
outright. But suppose this were to change. Given the mapping involved we'd
basically be counting on the admin to specify the handling of comparators, and
this means the admin is going to be responsible for setting it up so an unused
comparator results in an error. Of course we can arrange the defaults so that
the "right" think happens most of the time, but even so this doesn't sound
like all that great of an idea...