Re: [sieve] Working Group Last Call: draft-ietf-sieve-autoreply-00

2010-09-28 10:19:30
Hi,
Some comments on draft-ietf-sieve-autoreply-00:

Section 1: "Barry's question" - whilst it would be nice to be able to extract information from an external list contact, I think in all likelihood that will be hard to do. So I would suggest we drop this from consideration. It can always be considered as an extension later.

Section 3: change '"extended away".[I-D.ietf-sieve-notify-presence]' to '"extended away" [I-D.ietf-sieve-notify-presence].'.

Section 3: change 'half hour.[I-D.ietf-sieve-vacation-seconds]' to 'half hour [I-D.ietf-sieve-vacation-seconds].'.

Section 3: it might be good to include an example using the "notify" action instead of vacation.

Section 4: change "be send to" to "be sent to".

General comment: there are other kinds of tests that can be used for auto-reply generation. One example shows how base SIEVE header "subject" test can be used. But what about tests based on other message content?

- RFC 5703 (MIME Loops) would allow testing for the presence of specific types of attachment that might then trigger a reply (e.g. 'Please do not send attachments of type xyz in email - instead please provide a web link for me to access it').

- RFC 5260 (Date) is another test that is useful for auto-replies. Should we reference those as well and include some additional examples?

- Also, should there be recommendations on whether or not auto-replies should be used with RFC 5235 (spam/virus test)?

--
Cyrus Daboo