Re: [sieve] I-D Action:draft-ietf-sieve-external-lists-04.txt

2010-11-27 13:02:04
> My thinking on this has changed - it would be better to define a pab:
> pseudo-URL so there can be an argument specifying which of the user's
> address books to use.

Can you think of any use for pab: URLs outside of Sieve external list?

No, not really. I can come up with hypothetical uses of course, but
I don't see another existing protocol where a pab: URL makes sense.

If you can, then that would suggest that that is the best way forward.

> There's one addition I'd like to make to the list. I've proposed saying
> that if variables are enabled ${0} should return the thing that matched
> in a :list match, just like it does for :matches. ${1} and so on would
> return optional, list-specific information. In the case of pab: URLs
> I'd suggest defining ${1} to be a sort of status for the entry returned.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "status" here and how would this
work for other types of URIs?

It's a status the user has associated with the entry. We seem to be
assuming whitelist-only sorts of applications here. I could just as easily
want to use pab entries to separate work from personal mail based on whether
the originator is someone I work with. Or I might want to have blacklist
entries. And I might not want to use separate address books for this purpose.