Re: [sieve] Proposed "pab" URI scheme registration for Sieve External Lists

2010-11-30 14:14:53
Hi Alexey,

--On November 30, 2010 7:38:03 PM +0000 Alexey Melnikov <alexey(_dot_)melnikov(_at_)isode(_dot_)com> wrote:

   This specification requests the IANA to register the
   "pab" URI scheme as specified in this document and summarized in
   the following template, per [RFC4395]:

   URI scheme name:  pab

So I am not convinced we should have this URI scheme (though that is not a strong objection).

If we do stick with it, then:

1) Since you have broadened the scope to "applications" in general, why does this have to remain a "personal" reference? What about shared or global address books available to the application. i.e. shouldn't this be "ab" rather than "pab"?

2) I wonder if we want to be more generic - not just address books (e.g. I could easily imagine a SIEVE system looking at my calendar to determine possible vacation times automatically - i.e. it would be nice to just add an all-day event to a special "vacation" calendar and have that automatically turn on SIEVE vacation for that day). So if we stick with a URI, why not target it specifically at sieve, but allow for different types, e.g. have a 'sieveid' scheme that can be used to represent any external "system" identifier needed in a SIEVE script. The syntax could include a type specifier as the first item, e.g.:

sieveid:addressbook:default
sieveid:calendar:vacation

--
Cyrus Daboo