Re: [sieve] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sieve-convert-02.txt

2011-08-22 11:42:12
Now, this doesn't take into account Alexey's comment that he'd like to
see a runtime error when conversion fails, so I want to push on this:
What is the use case?  Is it more valuable to the use case for a
failed conversion to crash the script, or for it to just continue?
The sense I have is that it should continue (which is why I wrote the
text above).

"I've asked you and you ignored me" behavior doesn't seem right in Sieve. I
don't think any other extension does that.

I don't think this is a good reason to have it work this way, unless
we have a use case that merits the extra complexity.  But it might not
matter, if we can agree on my other suggestion, so let's discuss that
below.

Finally, I had an idea for how we could do the testing, which might
satisfy both issues:
Why not have the "convert" action *also* be a test.  Like this:

*** convert with no test ***
     require ["mime", "fileinto", "convert"];
     if header :mime :anychild :contenttype
               "Content-Type" "image/tiff"
     {
       convert "image/tiff" "image/jpeg" "pix-x" "320" "pix-y" "240";
       fileinto "INBOX.pics";
     }

*** convert with test ***
     require ["mime", "fileinto", "convert"];
     if header :mime :anychild :contenttype
               "Content-Type" "image/tiff"
     {
       if convert "image/tiff" "image/jpeg" "pix-x" "320" "pix-y" "240"
       {
         fileinto "INBOX.pics";
       }
     }

So it could work either way.  In the case where it's used in a test,
it would evaluate TRUE if it ran with no errors -- that is, the
conversion is supported, the parameters are correct, and no
conversions failed
If it's used only as an action, with no test, then any failure generates
a runtime error.

What do people think about that?  This would be the first action that
could also be used as a test, so think about whether that's good for
the language.  I like it, and I think it makes things very simple.

I don't mind that. But I don't think that that should imply any general
correlation between actions and tests for all future extensions we might
design.

I don't understand that comment; can you explain it?

Do you mean that making this both an action and a test shouldn't imply
that any other actions can be used as tests also?  I certainly agree:
of course it shouldn't.  Future extensions will define their behaviour
as they like, and might or might not use this model.  This model makes
sense here, I think.  It won't make sense in general, and this
wouldn't be a general change in the behaviour of Sieve actions.

Barry