Re: [sieve] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sieve-convert-02.txt

2011-08-23 12:47:25
"I've asked you and you ignored me" behavior doesn't seem right in Sieve.
I don't think any other extension does that.

I don't think this is a good reason to have it work this way, unless
we have a use case that merits the extra complexity.

Can you clarify what kind of complexity you are talking about?

The complexity of defining a new test to go with the new action.

On the other hand, if we have an action that can also be used as a
test, I think that's simpler.  And it seems we're converging on that.

Finally, I had an idea for how we could do the testing, which might
satisfy both issues:
Why not have the "convert" action *also* be a test.
Do you mean that making this both an action and a test shouldn't imply
that any other actions can be used as tests also?

Yes. Or rather the other way around: not every test is expected to be used
as an action. I was thinking about calling functions in C: they can be used
in tests and they can also be called so that their return value is ignored.

OK.  I think we're good on this, then.  We'll define this particular
action to also function as a test, but I'll put in text that makes it
clear that it's just this case, and that other actions are not
expected to behave this way.

If I don't hear objections from anyone else, I'll go ahead and put out
a new version with this change.

Barry