Re: Second Last Call: <draft-ietf-sieve-notify-sip-message-08.txt>

2012-01-26 15:30:43
Pete Resnick wrote:

We were told by the other company employees who facilitated the
disclosures, at the time of the disclosures, that this was strictly an
individual's failure to comply with the IETF IPR Policy, that the author
in question claims not to have understood the IETF IPR Policy, and that
the company proceeded to make these disclosures as soon as it discovered
that this IPR existed. I have no information to contradict that claim.

Somehow that sounds unconvincing to me.  While I've never been through
the patent application process myself, from what I've heard, it is
non-trivial and usually taken care of by the company's legal department.

Normally, patent lawyers of a company's legal department should have
sufficient clue about participation in SDOs that they should know
to ask employees the right questions.

-Martin