Re: [sieve] [apps-discuss] I-D Action: draft-ietf-appsawg-sieve-duplicate-00.txt

2013-05-22 17:20:03
Hello,

This draft describes an extension to the Sieve mail filtering language (RFC 5228) called "duplicate". It adds the ability to detect duplicate message deliveries. The main application for this new extension is handling duplicate deliveries commonly caused by mailing list subscriptions or redirected mail addresses. Using this extension, the user can for example decide to move duplicate messages to a special folder, mark them as 'seen', or discard them altogether.

I first implemented this extension a little more than a year ago as a vendor-defined extension for my own Sieve implementation (Dovecot Pigeonhole). I did this upon repeated requests from users. They were looking for a Sieve-equivalent of what could be achieved with Procmail using `formail -D`. Since then, I extended it a bit and eventually I made it more generic. In January of this year I decided that it may be suitable for proper standardization, so I posted the specification on the Sieve mailing list (https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sieve/current/msg05292.html). There, it was first picked up and reviewed by Ned Freed and Alexey Melnikov and I turned it into a first I-D submission.

The next versions -01 and -02 were discussed in these threads:

https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sieve/current/msg05300.html
https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sieve/current/msg05310.html

At this point it was decided that the document was sufficiently mature to start the process of becoming a proposed standard. Since the Sieve WG is no longer the obvious place to do this, it was moved to APPSAWG. Apart from its name, the new submission draft-ietf-appsawg-sieve-duplicate-00 is identical to draft-bosch-sieve-duplicate-02.

The following are known issues we haven't addressed in the latest version so far and I think these should be discussed a bit more:

- Do we measure the expiry time of entries in the duplicate tracking list relative to the initial message or relative to the last duplicate (https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sieve/current/msg05310.html). Should we make this configurable?

- Is the "duplicate" extension supposed to be active in IMAPSieve (RFC 6785) context (https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sieve/current/msg05314.html)? Currently, consensus is to mark this as NOT RECOMMENDED.

I'd like to finish this document some time in July or August. For that, it would be nice to get it thoroughly reviewed, so your reviews and comments are very welcome!

Regards,

Stephan Bosch.