Re: Multiple classes of mail

2004-04-07 16:35:10

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 04:01:03PM -0700, Mark C. Langston wrote:
RFC2076 defines two headers that provide for this already:  The
"Priority:" and "Precedence:" headers.  Sendmail 8.12 already does some
checking on these headers.

I don't think Meng Weng meant that remote clients should insert headers
to mark emails, but that MUAs should check local configuration information
against mail headers and thus classify the message.
Anything that you can set "from the outside" is untrustworthy per se.

I use different email addresses for each list I'm on. Due to web
archives some of the addresses are flooded with spam, so I put
filters in the control files for that address that move away messages
that don't have the list or my list address in the To:/Cc: fields and
that have no or wrong List-ID headers.
With a more intelligent MUA I could put this in its the configuration
file and it could do the job for me without having to write that
(always the same) filters.
I think this is one of the scenarios Meng Weng thought of.
Having the list manager add Priority/Precedence headers will not help
with this.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299