Re: Multiple classes of mail

2004-04-07 16:43:53

Mark C. Langston wrote:

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 06:48:29PM -0400, Meng Weng Wong wrote:
Instead, perhaps we can borrow another concept from the postal service:
different classes of mail.  This lets us treat each class differently,
with different expectations.

RFC2076 defines two headers that provide for this already:  The
"Priority:" and "Precedence:" headers.  Sendmail 8.12 already does some
checking on these headers.
From my reading of Meng's note, it would seem that "Priority:" and "Precedence:" could potentially be used by trusted MTAs to indicate to an MUA (or a later-hop MTA) that mail was classified into one of these classes, but that the actual classification process would be based as much on a heuristic (i.e., does the incoming message originate from a service which can be validated with CID, DK, etc.) as it would be based on fields which could be specified by a sender.

I think that the notion that there are different levels of confidence for mail is a correct one and one which end-users typically make today. But the analogy to "first-class," "second-class," etc. is an imperfect one, since in the traditional paper mail system, class is generally specified by the sender based on his or her determination of importance, cost, etc. It's not generally made by the recipient (or by the post office). I believe this distinction is a significant one, especially if we intend it as a simpifying assumption for end-users.

-Edwin