Re: Caller ID and ease of adoption (was Microsoft submitting Call er ID as draft RFC)

2004-04-13 17:00:50

Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
Hallam-Baker, Phillip writes:
Two comments:

1) Although yahoo groups has a lot of mailing lists, it is still one
        set of server software to fix.

That's true for yahoo. But not for the others - one fix to mailman doesn't result in a hundred thousand lists running on the updated version.

That was part of what I was trying to get across, but if announcements are made that mailing list delivery will stop working unless you run version X or greater of software Y, most site administrators would be able to upgrade fairly easily. I think there's a stronger correlation between site and list software than any involving volume or number of lists.

2) If anyone knows the gmane folks they could probably run a perl
        script that would answer the sets sender question over the
        largest data set we are likely to get.

Well... I suppose I qualify. Haven't met Lars face-to-face since I left Norway a few years ago, but we still chat now and then. Will you (or anyone on this list) write the script?

Well, the mailing list software used by each list gmane.org is subscribed to is recorded when the list subscription is done. Then it's a question of correlating that data with the appearance of various headers in messages on those lists. The biggest issue I can see in such processing would be lists that have changed list software since gmane.org was subscribed. Since that would (ideally) be a transparent change for subscribers, we could get some funky data. Most likely, we could pick this up and discount it later.

I'll see about getting in touch with the gmane.org admins and writing this script if I can get access to the appropriate data.

Philip Miller