Re: Caller ID and ease of adoption

2004-04-13 18:21:59

(My apologies if this appears twice -- the first time I sent this, I
wasn't subscribed to the list, which, perhaps, made the list drop my
message.)

wayne <wayne-gLU9eaKLssaakBO8gow8eQ(_at_)public(_dot_)gmane(_dot_)org> writes:

I have emailed Larsi with some questions and a pointer to this
thread.  If I recall correctly, Larsi has posted to the SPF mailing
list before and gmane.org has SPF records, so there is a good chance
that he is interested in this stuff.

I am.  :-)

wayne <wayne(_at_)midwestcs(_dot_)com> writes:

How many mailing lists do you know of that don't already set the
envelope from address?

How many mailing lists do you know of that don't already set the
Sender: or Resent-* headers?

I've done a quick peek at a few messages from each of the mailing
list types that I have registered on Gmane, and here's the result:

                   sender  MAIL FROM
mailman        3346   y      y
ecartis         115   y      y
autoshare         1   n      y
lyris            13   n      y
communigate       5   y      y
listar           46   y      y
smartlist        15   y      y        (also sets Resent-Sender)
smartgroups       7   n      y
yahoogroups     249   n      y
topica           12   n      y
cz                1   n      y
majordomo       606   y      y
letterrip         1   y      y
petidomo          1   y      y
minimalist*      12   n      sort of
sympa            49   n      y
listserv          8   y      y
listserv-name    81   y      y
listproc         10   y      y
fml              23   n      y
listguru          1   y      y
ezmlm           689   n      y
listbox           4   y      y
imail             1   y      y

*) minimalist sets X-Sender, passes original Sender, MAIL FROM is set,
but seemingly doesn't have to match the actual list

Those numbers are how many lists of each type are carried by Gmane.
The numbers probably aren't representative -- Gmane is heavily
dominated by free software-related subjects.  Unix list servers like
Mailman, Majordomo and ezmlm are probably the list servers of choice
for this community...

Do you know which mailing list software would need to be changed?  If
the latest versions of the software already works, is this a recent
change, or will most people have already upgraded?

I've only looked at recent messages from each list server type, so I
can't answer that.

  larsi(_at_)gnus(_dot_)org * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen