Re: Caller ID and ease of adoption

2004-04-13 07:36:27

In <407B6941(_dot_)7020703(_at_)zemos(_dot_)net> Philip Miller
<millenix(_at_)zemos(_dot_)net> writes:

wayne wrote:

I notice you break down Majordomo by the version.  It would be nice
to know which versions first started setting the Sender: and MAIL
FROM:.

I broke them down by version because 2.x is effectively a fork of the
original project.

I wasn't very clear in my note.  I was actually ask about all the
versions of all mailing list software.  Even if the current software
works right, will there be a lot of older installations that need to
upgrade?

Besides considering the list service operators and the mailing list
software, another way to look at this problem is to consider the
volume of email and their sources.

That would be rather misleading when looking at cost to upgrade, which
is what we're trying to take into account. There are some lists that
account for enormous volumes of mail, but would take next to nothing
to change. I think breakdown of list operators and list software is
more appropriate.

I wasn't really suggesting looking at the problem from receiving side
as a good way to directly judge the cost to upgrade.  Rather, I
figured it might give a better idea of who the major mailing list
sources are, how many different mailing lists management packages are
widely used, etc.

Phillip Hallam-Baker mentioned contacting Larsi Ingebrigtsen who runs
gmane.org and asking him.  This was more along the lines that I was
think of and it is an excellent suggestion.

I have emailed Larsi with some questions and a pointer to this
thread.  If I recall correctly, Larsi has posted to the SPF mailing
list before and gmane.org has SPF records, so there is a good chance
that he is interested in this stuff.

-wayne