Re: Caller ID and ease of adoption

2004-04-12 21:14:57

wayne wrote:
In <407B256A(_dot_)6060004(_at_)zemos(_dot_)net> Philip Miller
<millenix(_at_)zemos(_dot_)net> writes:

Harry Katz wrote:

wayne [wayne(_at_)midwestcs(_dot_)com] wrote (in part):

So, this very limited amount of data on RFC2822 headers seems to
show that either many mailing lists will have to change, or RFC2822
checking can not depend on much other than the From: header.

I guess we need to survey some of the list service operators to
find out definitively how many are using sender today.  My
understaning is that in fact most of them would be compliant with
Caller ID today.

I doubt we really need to survey list operators. Instead, survey the
software used.
This would include:    Sets Sender?    Sets MAIL FROM?
YahooGroups                 n               y
Mailman                     y               y
ezmlm                       n               y
Majordomo 1.x               y               y
Majordomo 2.x               y               y

Thanks for posting data Philip!

Glad to be of help.

To add to this list, it appears that listserv also sets the sender
(and, of course, the MAIL FROM).  This is based off of looking at the
SPAM-L posts.

Cool.

Sendmail and exim can both be configured to create "mailing lists" by
using an alias that begins with a prefix of "owner-".  These do not
appear to set the Sender: header, but do set the MAIL FROM.

I notice you break down Majordomo by the version.  It would be nice to
know which versions first started setting the Sender: and MAIL FROM:.

I broke them down by version because 2.x is effectively a fork of the original project.

Besides considering the list service operators and the mailing list
software, another way to look at this problem is to consider the
volume of email and their sources.

That would be rather misleading when looking at cost to upgrade, which is what we're trying to take into account. There are some lists that account for enormous volumes of mail, but would take next to nothing to change. I think breakdown of list operators and list software is more appropriate.

Philip Miller