Re: Caller ID and ease of adoption (was Microsoft submitting Caller ID as draft RFC)

2004-04-13 02:42:31

Harry Katz writes:
 -----Original Message-----
 From: Philip Miller [mailto:millenix(_at_)zemos(_dot_)net]

I doubt we really need to survey list operators. Instead, survey the software used.
 This would include:    Sets Sender?    Sets MAIL FROM?
 YahooGroups                 n               y
 Mailman                     y               y
 ezmlm                       n               y
 Majordomo 1.x               y               y
 Majordomo 2.x               y               y

Interesting data, thanks. I still think it's relevent to ask how many lists out there are operated by each class of server, in other words, how many actually have to change. I would guess that Majordomo accounts for a huge chunk for example.

Hard to know, with so many mailing lists being private. Googling for the constant strings used by majordomo and mailman web frontends returns 130 or so results for majordomo and 130,000 for mailman. Let me step out on the limb and claim that mailman is NOT a thousand times more popular than majordomo.

Unless anyone can find a dependable way to count private email, I think all that can reasonably be said is that there is a six-digit number of mailing lists.

To err on the safe side, the well-known packages must be catered to.

Arnt