RE: Caller ID and ease of adoption

2004-04-14 20:10:14

I agree.  Actually it's quite amazing that there's as much consistency
as Lars' great data indicates.

BTW, I note that Yahoo Groups does insert an X-Sender header and it
appears to have the value one would expect to find in a regular Sender
header.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-mxcomp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-mxcomp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
Hallam-Baker, Phillip
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 4:39 PM
To: 'Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen'; ietf-mxcomp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: Caller ID and ease of adoption

Lars,

      Thanks greatly for the list. I think it is more than
sufficient for our purposes. It looks to me like there are
two major sources of non compliance - Yahoo groups and ezmln.
The second is the trickier since there is only one Yahoo
groups to deal with and we have their email addresses.

      Sure we can get carried away and do a full rigorous
academic research project here, but this tells me what I need
to know, we are at about 80% compliance and we can get to 95%
compliance by addressing one software platform and one
service. That looks pretty encouraging to me.

      Even given the measurement biases that are inevitable
with a single point sample worst case we are likely to see
would be 60% in compliance today and the opportunity to get
to 90% easily.

      Back in the early days of the Web there was a couple of
profs making academic hay criticising a Gallup survey of
Internet users, they identified biases that might mean the
survey was out by 25% or more, this when the Internet was
growing by 20% PER MONTH. Like a 25% systematic bias was relevant..

              Phill

How many mailing lists do you know of that don't already set the
envelope from address?

How many mailing lists do you know of that don't already set the
Sender: or Resent-* headers?

I've done a quick peek at a few messages from each of the
mailing list
types that I have registered on Gmane, and here's the result:

                   sender  MAIL FROM
mailman        3346   y      y
ecartis         115   y      y
autoshare         1   n      y
lyris            13   n      y
communigate       5   y      y
listar           46   y      y
smartlist        15   y      y        (also sets Resent-Sender)
smartgroups       7   n      y
yahoogroups     249   n      y
topica           12   n      y
cz                1   n      y