proposal on how to proceed

2004-04-16 17:13:14

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 06:23:30PM -0400, Hector Santos wrote:
But in my personal view,  one or the other (LMAP methods) will eventually
become the overwhelming most supported method.  SPF is popular at the
moment, but CEP will overtake it rapidly for obvious reasons once MS makes
it official.

If this would be the case and if it would be so "obvious" this group
would be useless and this discussion, too.

But as I think neither is the case I'd propose we concentrate on the
main problems we have to solve instead of discussing "obvious things".
These problems are IMHO still
    1) WHAT do we want to authorize
        - email addresses
          o full address
          o domains
          this is totally irrelevant to a 2821 vs 2822 discussions as the
          something that is authorized is a domain or address and it is
          totally irrelevant /now/ where to find it for the classification
          of a method.
        - IP addresses
          (PTR names or additional information in revDNS, or the IP address
           as a key to any kind of DNS{BL,WL,GL,ACCREDIATION} system
        - additional information like
          o 2821.HELO
          o a fingerprint
          o ...
and then
    2) in WHAT FORMAT do we want to put it in DNS

Currently we (IMHO, besides I missed something) are stuck with point
1) above.

So what we have to do is produce some kind of summary of the various
recommended reading drafts and the dicussions in this mailinglist to get
a list of pros and cons for each of our possibilities. The IRTF ASRG group
has a list of technical considerations for evaluation

http://asrg.kavi.com/apps/group_public/download.php/30/draft-crocker-spam-techconsider-02.txt

  [[ Dave/Yakov, I have lost track whether this is the most current version ]]

that provides some basis that we should check them against and then
after some short discussion we should try to get a "winner" and see
what proposals in that area exist and how close they are and how they
help with the format decisions.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299