Re: RR-type considerations

2004-04-16 16:37:10

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 06:37:50PM -0400, Meng Weng Wong wrote:
People are lazy, or at least busy: doing it right may just be too much
work.  I don't want this to be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

I'm not against doing it with TXT records.
But I object to doing it /now/ with a TXT record and updating the
standard in 3 months and substituting the TXT record by/introducing
a special crafted RR.

Numeric types would make DNS a little more extensible.  Today, DNS
RRtypes are, ironically, stuck in an "/etc/hosts" era.  If nameserver
software accepted numeric DNS types we could at least move to an
"/etc/services" model.

Hmmm ... isn't that what EDNS0 should have fixed, at least to some
degree?
Some DNS servers like djbdns already now have no limitations about
which record types to publish, as they have the ability to not use
string literals like in BIND syntax, but numeric values. However this
requires a bit more work, as the admin has to put the RHS value in a
quasi precompiled format that the DNS server can/will publish unmodified.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299