RE: TXT lookup domain - eliminating redundancy.

2004-04-16 14:09:04

--"Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> wrote:

I think that if we decide to reuse the TXT record, either as a final
or an interim solution then using _ep or _MARID as a key makes a
lot of sense.

I don't think it makes any sense to do this for a RR specific to MARID

Totally agree. The TXT and v=spf1 and _ep are ways of getting around the "no RR is invented yet". If we define a new RR type, it makes most sense to stick it on the domain itself and not confuse things further with added _labels.

A version number is one way to allow for future extensibility in a way that doesn't confuse older clients, but there are other ways around this as well.

In fact we could even punt and say the hex value of the MARID RR
# is 42, then an interim TXT record incarnation could be _42.example.com

Oooh, I like that idea.  Anyway "interim" is the key word here.