RE: TXT lookup domain - eliminating redundancy.

2004-04-16 09:31:01

I think that if we decide to reuse the TXT record, either as a final
or an interim solution then using _ep or _MARID as a key makes a
lot of sense.

I don't think it makes any sense to do this for a RR specific to MARID

In fact we could even punt and say the hex value of the MARID RR
# is 42, then an interim TXT record incarnation could be _42.example.com

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-mxcomp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-mxcomp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of Markus
Stumpf
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2004 11:45 AM
To: IETF-MXCOMP
Cc: Harry Katz
Subject: Re: TXT lookup domain - eliminating redundancy.

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 09:21:09PM -0700, Harry Katz wrote:
We used the _ep subdomain in Caller ID deliberately in
order to prevent
collisions / mixing with other text records a domain may
wish to publish.
And let's not forget that other uses for TXT records may exist or be
developed in future.

Exactly the way to go.
The requestor is asking an question and it should be possible to ask
an exact question like
  "what are the <method> policies of that domain / host / entity"
and the answer should be and exact answer.

The approach must not be to ask
  "gimme all your TXT records"
and then wade to a random number on answers and try to pick
the correct one.

After some talk with Arnt Gulbrandsen that was also the reason for the
approach used in the MTAMARK 00-draft as opposed to
preliminary versions of
that draft.

      \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49
(89) 32356-0