Re: TXT lookup domain - eliminating redundancy.

2004-04-16 15:11:32

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 02:09:10PM -0700, Greg Connor wrote:
"no RR is invented yet".  If we define a new RR type, it makes most sense
to stick it on the domain itself and not confuse things further with added
_labels.

If we want to define a new RR type we should do it /now/!
Starting with a TXT record and later switching to a MARID RR record
is a kludge that will (i.e. the TXT record) live for the next 50 years
and all software engineers and DNS maintainers will curse us, because
they will still have to care about a TXT record that is obsolete for 49
years.

We're setting way for a standard that is waited long for in the Internet
community and MTA writers and DNS admins will adopt it as soon as possible.
So we either do it right or we shouldn't do it at all.

"interim" is a word we should delete from our vocabulary and thinking right
now.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299