RE: Rough consensus reached. Let's move on.

2004-04-16 16:20:58

A point to bear in mind here.

The point of this exercise is not merely to recognize
definitively false messages. Being able to recongnize
definitively genuine messages, even if incomplete is
just as valuable.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-mxcomp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-mxcomp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of
Hallam-Baker,
Phillip
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2004 6:58 PM
To: 'wayne'; IETF MXCOMP
Subject: RE: Rough consensus reached. Let's move on.

We have already established that a significant number of
mailing lists
(20% +/- ???) do not supply a Sender: header.  I don't think anyone
has check to see how many of the Sender: headers that are supplied
would likely be consistent with MARID validation.

We have established that one service corresponding to 10% and one
platform corresponding to 10% do not fill sender today.

Turns out that it is very easy to fix both. ezmlm just needs a
line adding to the header file - no need to re-install, just fix the
config.

Yahoo seem to be receptive to change their service if we ask
them to.

I don't think any mail forwarders supply a Sender: header.

This is an issue that is a bit trickier.