Re: Message Level Authentication

2004-04-21 07:07:33

Agreed.  By Mass mailers we have always meant large producers of mail (e.g.
large ISP's and mass mailing distributors).

Scale will always be an issue for anything.  However, if someone had said that
"an e-commerce systems cannot be built to handle over 90MM transactions" ebay
would have never been built, the credit card network would have never been
implemented, Real time quotes and online stock trading would have never come
into reality, and in general the web simply would not be where it is currently.

Hardware, software, bandwidth, and network topologies continue to scale at
incredible rates (e.g. single points of entry and clustered, distributed
systems acting as one machine).  Whereas, a publicly available DNS scheme will
incur the same amount of queries as anything else but will also be open to
spoofing at both the domain level as well as the IP level for "SPAM"
broadcasting (because spammers simply do not care if you ever respond back to
them personally, they are simply broadcasting their message on spoofed
accounts).

We feel confident that everything will move towards our idea of unique
queryable records being generated for each outgoing email for later validation,
message tracking, and authentication.  In such a case, we may have intellectual
property conflicts.  However, we want to go on the record as saying we would
love to contribute to this issue and work with anyone to solve this problem.

In sum, we respect the charter of this board and will move our discussion to
the ASRG list.

cheers.

bill

From: Andrew Newton <andy(_at_)hxr(_dot_)us>