Re: A 40% solution?

2004-05-13 09:00:18

On May 13, 2004, at 05:53, John Leslie wrote:

a clarifying question: earlier in your message when the MARID RR is
described, there is no mention of IP addresses embedded in the RR. (or
perhaps there was and i missed it).

   I was intentionally vague, not wanting to get bogged down in syntax
if it could possibly be avoided.

   However, the inspiration (as I mentioned) was Dave Crocker's CSV
proposal, which uses SRV records, in which the RR contains a "target"
domain name which refers to one or more A(ddress) records. DNS servers
automatically return the IP addresses as "additional" data.

i wasn't thinking this was syntax. what i'm trying to understand is what "objects" are stored in the RR, not how they're encoded...

one of the things that the 30% solution has going for it is that it
concisely lists whats in the RRs, what the operands are and what the
operations are. it would be helpful in understanding the 40% solution
if it was similarly organized.

   I perfectly willing to (try to) work with Dave Crocker and anyone
else interested in fleshing out the details; but it was my understanding
that we were planning to pass semantics to DNS experts who would do
that kind of work. Is that still part of the game plan?

i don't think we're talking about semantics. i look at the 30% proposal and in one screen i understand exactly what the inputs and outputs are and how to evaluate the function in between. there isn't any semantics there, they aren't needed. i can't say the same for the 40% proposal. there isn't a concise list of the inputs and outputs.

/mtr