Re: Adoption of MARID, SPF and alternatives and thoughts on cost

2004-05-13 23:53:13

Roy Badami <roy(_at_)gnomon(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk wrote:
I think that LMAP will certainly stop spam in the short term,

  It won't.  It's not intended to stop spam, and was never intended to
stop spam.  Please don't claim that it's going to stop spam.

  Read the LMAP discussion document.  It describes the real purpose of
LMAP: to stop non-consentual use of domain names in SMTP.

LMAP will have a similar window where it is useful by itself; once
LMAP starts to be widely adopted, spammers will start to adapt and
publish LMAP records, and we'll have to move on to reputation
services.

  We already have reputation services: I know who "imc.org" is, and
I'm willing to accept mail from them.  I don't know who
"get-port-now.com" is, and I'll probably delete all mail from them
unread.

  The point is NOT to stop spam.  The point is to separate accountable
parties from non-accountable parties.  If all spammers sent mail from
long-lived and well-known domains, it would be MUCH easier to deal
with.

Still, there's a window when LMAP alone will be useful, and I think
that's what's driving a lot of the early adopters.  By the time LMAP
becomes mainstream (and probably by the time this WG produces a spec)
that window will already be starting to close, with significant
numbers of spammers publishing LMAP records...

  That will be WONDERFUL.

  Alan DeKok.